Sunday, October 20, 2013

Sticky Situation

I had many ideas for this project including many that involved cobwebs as Halloween is approaching, but before any of those ideas were used I rediscovered my love of Sugar Skulls which led to this. There were about 30 ideas on my list and I found most of them quite creative.
For this project we were asked to incorporate repetition which I did excessively with dots. I opted to use acrylic because, no matter how hard I try, whenever I use watercolor bad things happen. I believe I successfully learned how to use acrylic and I love how you layer the paint. This was only a problem when using the orange as it showed up as yellow until about four coats. I found that the small teachings in class were extremely helpful in learning how to properly paint.

Up Close and Personal

Up Close and Personal was the theme for this project. I started by thinking of the first few words that came to mind when I thought of that and then used the same process for those words until I had about twenty. There's no extremely strong emphasis in this picture, instead I chose to emphasize the couple by opting not to do a complete background. I instead grounded them with a black shadow and, to indicate sky, did some light blue crosshatching behind them. I didn't really take any risk with the projects as compared to the previous or the next one, but I do believe I had a good concept and executed it well through technique and my chosen medium.